(Redirected from FAQ)
Ask more questions, more frequently, and there'll be more FAQ!
- Did the world really need another Linux distribution?
- Probably not. Does it really need you? At least SprezzOS has a page of justification for its existence.
- What if Sprezzatech should go out of business?
- I would continue to work on the Project as time was available, though one wonders if it's worth living in such a world.
- What if you get hit by a bus?
- That's admittedly a problem. Since it's all open source, anyone could pick it up and fork it.
- The Debian Derivatives Census tracks all divergences from Debian, and could be used to assure all desirable changes get merged back in.
- Isn't it "FAQs"?
- If you love redundancies so much, why don't you marry them?
- I just installed, and my machine seems broken. It just says "login" on a black screen. Ought I lose hope?
- I don't need no stinking text mode! Will you ever install X.org by default?
- Where's USB-based media?
- It'll be made available as soon as it's available.
- Are there hardware configurations on which the installer is known to fail?
- Sadly many, I'm afraid. Our installer is neither as mature nor robust as I'd like it to be.
- It's improving slowly, but is definitely the weak link in the SprezzOS chain. I'm sorry.
- Please file bugs.
- Why did my install fail during package installation? Don't you people test these things?
- The installation media is constant for a SprezzOS version, but it fetches and installs a set of packages dependent on the current upstream repositories.
- Some packaging bugs only manifest themselves when configured during install, and slip through.
- Sometimes interpackage bugs (i.e., dependence on a missing package) slip through.
- Please file bugs. These tend to get fixed very quickly once noted.
- I want to do everything as root, and am smarter than you. Why must I create a user account?
- If you're so smart, figure out a way to install without creating a user account.
- Or just never use it. Or remove it. You're running as root all the time anyway. Set your login shell to rm -rf / for all I care.
- I adhere to Richard Stallman's no-passwords policy. Why do you force a password upon me?
- It's a useful protection against stuck ENTER keys driving runaway installs.
- Were it not for people like you, there'd be no thievery in this world!
- Why isn't there a password on sudo? And a timeout? And a supersecret password after the first password? That'd be tre secure!
- For the same reason you don't turn the lights on and off 17 times when you leave a room. Observe:
- Eve pwns Bob's account.
- Eve installs a keystroke logger running with Bob's privileges.
- Bob now has to type a bunch of stupid crap, even though...
- Eve still captures both the secret and supersecret passwords, successfully escalating privilege.
- How do I get back TCPwrappers support?
- Set the Delorean's circuits for 1985 and get that baby up to 88. Alternatively, use IPTables.
- Where's the Enlightened Sound Daemon?
- The last ESD release was 2008. It has been deprecated for years, and PulseAudio supplies a compatibility module. It will not be returning.
- How do I watch Flash in my browser?
- You can try installing the flash-nonfree package, though it is no longer supported upstream, tends to crash a lot, and has known security issues.
- You can try installing the gnash-plugin package, though it doesn't work very often.
- Yeah, I agree this situation sucks. Sorry, man; I didn't do it.
- How can I rip physical Blu-Ray media?
- We recommend the (regrettably closed-source) MakeMKV. It has strong, active Linux support, and works very well.
- I ran startx and just have an ugly black xterm! Where's all my crap?
- You need to install a window manager, and run it in your .xinitrc.
- Can't I have a graphical login?
- Yes; you need to install and enable a display manager.
- Why does all of this suck so much?
- Humility is endless. You get what you pay for. Patches are welcome.
- Where can I send these patches?
- firstname.lastname@example.org, or better yet attach them to a bug.
- This is awesome! How can I help?
- Money, money, money. Please donate using the Donate button on the left. Your donations keep the Project afloat.
- Using Facebook as a login mechanism for the wiki makes me unhappy!
- That is a statement, not a question.
- Don't you know that successful large projects need consensus, not a rogue HIC playing by his own rules?
- The Linux kernel and Linus Torvalds would seem to be a counterexample, but I suppose that only time will tell.
- Isn't this really just one guy? Why do you keep saying "we"?
- Future-proofing, and yes, but I fight with the strength of ten tigers.