SprezzOS: Reshaping the Linux ecosystem, one splinter cell at a time.
SprezzOS is a Linux distribution dedicated to the lost arts of high performance, robust computing, and freewheeling hackery. Some distros make their mark playing around with desktop theming; we're rewriting core system tools. While they're authoring constitutions and holding votes, we're assaulting the heart of userspace and generating useful patches for upstream.
SprezzOS is derived from Debian, and is an active member of the Debian Derivatives Census. While SprezzOS is a product of Sprezzatech, which retains final control over its definition, contributions from the community are actively welcomed. All SprezzOS development is open, and has been from the beginning. SprezzOS at its heart is a rolling, rapidly-evolving operating system atop the Linux kernel; when the term "SprezzOS" is used by itself, it is this continuum (the "trunk") which is referenced. It is intended that users generally install this trunk, and rely on its frequent updates. From time to time, a snapshot will be taken of the distribution, defining a more static release. New installation media will be released as minor version updates to these releases as the need arises.
Might you be among our target audience? Good, good.
|Release (recent)||Date (planned/actual)||Media||Architectures||Bug Tags||Kernel||libc|
|2 "Kolmogorov"||2013-08-06 / TBD||TBD||TBD||2.0.0||TBD||TBD|
|1 "von Neumann" (1.1.1)||2012-12-25 / 2013-01-13||SprezzOS-1.1.1.iso||amd64||1.0.0||Linux 3.7.5||GNU libc 2.16|
|0 "Turing" (0.0.1)||2012-10-05 / 2012-10-08||SprezzOS-0.0.1.iso||amd64||0.0.0 and 0.0.0-beta||Linux 3.6.0||EGLIBC 2.13|
- For users: Release Model, Glossary
- For developers: Contributing
- SWOON, the SprezzOS Weeklyish News
- Technically the "SprezzOS Weeklyish Oblations, Objections, and News"
- Documentation for Installer development
- Documentation for native tools
- "SprezzOS and Debian" -- an introduction to SprezzOS for Debian developers
- "Debian and SprezzOS" -- an introduction to Debian for sprezzadevs
- The Sprezzatech blog
|SWIP, the SprezzOS Web Interface to Packages|
|Listing of source repositories|
|SprezzOS! Google+ community|
- The low-traffic sprezzos-announce Google Group features moderated announcements.
- You are strongly advised to subscribe to sprezzos-announce.
- The sprezzos-dev Google Group covers development discussion.
- It also receives copies of all Bugzilla mail.
- It also receives copies of all commits.
- This mailing list is quite data-intense.
- The sprezzos-users Google Group covers all other discussion.
Custom development and SLA-driven support for SprezzOS is available from Sprezzatech, the SprezzOS Project's commercial governing body and primary sponsor.
- Our mascot, Natasha the orca, was chosen because orcas are awesome.
- SprezzOS is happily hosted at Linode Atlanta.
- Hail Eris!
- Not with a bang, but with a whimper -- Sprezzatech and SprezzOS are being put aside.
- SprezzOS 1.1.1 -- SprezzOS 1.1.1 released.
- SprezzOS Weekly News 2013-04-25 -- SprezzOS Weeklyish Oblations, Objections, and News (SWOON) Vol. 1 Issue 6.
- so many problems, chef -- a day of crisis!
- SprezzOS Weekly News 2013-03-27 -- SprezzOS Weeklyish Oblations, Objections, and News (SWOON) Vol. 1 Issue 5.